(gluten-free, vegan, paleo, AIP)Jump to Recipe
I am a huge fan of waffles. I typically buy gluten-free frozen waffles at the grocery store to have for the week. I pair them with some protein like eggs or chicken sausage. There are some great frozen gluten-free and even grain-free waffles out there (big fan of Birch Benders Paleo and Kinnikinnick).
This week I wanted to save money and use ingredients I have in my kitchen. I also wanted this recipe to be suitable for everyone! So I decided to make these grain-free protein waffles. They are also egg-free and dairy free, making them perfect for anyone following a vegan diet. The added protein and flaxseed makes these waffles nutrient dense and satisfying.
I was skeptical about how these vegan and grain-free waffles would turn out, but I was pleasantly surprised! Since it is almost Valentine’s Day, I decided to whip up this easy strawberry and dragon fruit yogurt. I used it as a delicious, low-sugar topping.
Need some other gluten-free breakfast options? Check out more here!
Living in the gluten-free community, many people with Autoimmune Disease will follow an AIP (Autoimmune Paleo) diet. The AIP diet excludes eggs, dairy, and grains. It can be really tough to find AIP-friendly recipes. Since I had all the ingredients to make them AIP-friendly, I figured why not! The protein is made from pea protein, but this can easily be substituted.
Beyond those with Autoimmune Disease, many people feel better eating a grain-free, paleo diet. I had some new grain-free flour blend from Beth Blends in my pantry. For anyone avoiding nuts, they also make one nut and cassava-free!
What you need for these grain-free protein waffles
- Grain-free flour blend (like Beth Blends)
- Flaxseed (if you are making them egg-free)
- Nut milk (I use Elmhurst Cashew milk)
- Protein Powder (I used Nuzest Vanilla Protein Powder)
- Apple cider vinegar
- Water (for thinning batter)
- Coconut oil
- Dairy-free strawberry yogurt (I used SoDelicious new low sugar option)
- Dragon fruit powder
Grain-Free Protein Waffles
- mini waffle maker or regular sized
- 1 cup Grain-free flour blend like Beth Blends (code PEACEOFGFCAKE)
- 2 scoop Protein powder I use Nuzest Vanilla but sub whatever brand you prefer (code PEACEOFGFCAKE20)
- 2 tbsp Ground Flaxseed This is to replace eggs. Sub eggs or any other egg replacement
- ½ tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup Nutmilk I used Elmhurst Cashew
- ¼ cup Coconut oil
- 2 tbsp Water
- Mix 2 tbsp water and flaxseed, mix, and set aside for 5 minutes to thicken
- Mix together nutmilk and apple cider vinegar and set aside
- Mix together dry ingredients (flour, protein powder)
- Mix wet ingredients (milk, flaxseed eggs, coconut oil, vanilla)
- Mix together wet and dry. Add additional water to thing out batter if needed
- Spray waffle maker and add a spoonful to the waffle maker
- For yogurt topping, mix together your favorite strawberry yogurt and dragon fruit powder (I use Pitaya Foods)