Store-bought Easter candy has nothing on these homemade, chocolate covered eggs! Break them open, and you will find a colorful surprise inside. As much as we might love the taste and convenience of store-bought candies, they are often filled with added sugar, dyes, and the worst of them all — GLUTEN. These chocolate covered coconut eggs are gluten free, soy free, and dairy free, made with simple ingredients, and colored with natural, superfood powders. Plus, they are simple to make and can be a fun activity for kids and adults! You can make them anytime of the year, pumpkins for Halloween, trees for Christmas, dreidels for Hanukkah, or make them into a variety of shapes and colors for your everyday treats!
Here are the simple ingredients you will need:
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 2-3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1-2 tbsp of water
- Suncore Foods Supercolor Powders: I used blueberry, pitaya, and spirulina superfood powders (I use anywhere from 1-3 tbsp) You can get 15% off with code PEACEOFGFCAKE15
- chocolate chips (Enjoy Life Foods are my favorite for dairy and soy free chocolate)
I hope you enjoy these fun chocolate candies as much as I did!
Chocolate Covered Coconut Candies
- Mix together everything besides the coconut oil and superfood powders-separate into three bowls
- Melt coconut and separate into three dishes, mixing the Suncore Foods Supercolor Powders powders in each dish
- Add the colored coconut oil to the separate dishes to make your three colors and mix well (if the coconut isn’t forming well, play with adding a drizzle of syrup, water, or coconut oil)
- You can use either a candy mold or form the coconut into egg shapes, and dip or drizzle chocolate on topIf using a candy mold, melt chocolate with 1 tsp coconut oil and spread the first layer of chocolate in the mold and freeze for 10 minutes
- Form the coconut into small ovals and press into mold
- Cover with remaining chocolate and freeze to refrigerate until completely solid
- And finally pop them out of the mold, and enjoy!
* Disclaimer: this post contains affiliate links. This means I may earn a commission should you chose to sign up for a program or make a purchase using my link. It’s okay – I love all of these companies anyways, and you will too!